D. Marlene Farmer Schalk
March 13, 1934 - June 11, 2016
Marlene was born in Shedd, Oregon to Roy M. and Willetta Churchill Farmer on March 13, 1934. She was the great granddaughter of William J. and Minerva Watson Smith who were Oregon pioneers who crossed the plains in 1853 and 1847.
She grew up in Lebanon, Oregon graduating from Lebanon Union High School in 1952. She attended the University of Oregon and Oregon State College. Marlene worked in Lebanon at the Linn County telephone Company for a year before marriage. After marriage she worked at the switchboard in the newly opened Meier and Frank Department Store for several years, later taking a position at the switchboard for the State of Oregon. In 1966 she started work at the switchboard for Salem Public School and in 1975 she began an especially rewarding segment of her working career in the office at Sprague High School, working there until retirement in 1993.
During the summer of 1952 she met her future husband, Bill, where they were employed by Merle Bruckman at his resort, Breitenbush Mineral Springs near Detroit, Oregon. May 15, 1955 they married in Lebanon and made their home in Salem raising two children, Cindy and Jeff. Marlene found pleasure in being a Mom, gardening, playing pinochle, friendships with Bunco and book discussion group friends, church activities, reading, scrap-booking, photo editing, travel, time spent camping and working at the family property on the Little North Fork of the Santiam River. She especially cherished time spent with her husband of 61 years, her children and three grandsons.
Marlene and Bill were charter members of Westminster Presbyterian Church where Marlene served as a Deacon for one term.
Marlene is survived by her husband, William; daughter, Cynthia Mendez and husband Chris of Lake Wales, FL; son, Jeffery Schalk and wife Vicki of Salem; Grandsons, Jon Tarrant and wife Bella of Lexington Park, MD.; Jerrod, and Cody Schalk of Salem and sister, Sandra Duncan and her son Dave Duncan of Salem.
Memorial services will be at 3:00pm on Saturday, 18 June 2016 at Westminster Presbyterian Church. In Lieu of flowers contributions may be made to the Westminster Presbyterian Church Building Fund.