Salem Oregon Funeral Service Blog

Preplanning Guide

Veterans Funeral Home

Virtual Tour Photos

Secure Online Ordering
Funeral Packages


Cremation Event Options


Memorial Jewelry

Memorial Folders and Verses

Green Burial Options

Earth-friendly Burial Caskets

Grace Reception Center

Memorial Items

Memorial Markers

About Us

Contact Us


Home / Helpful Guidelines

 Listed below are some guidelines that you may find helpful. VIRGIL T. GOLDEN FUNERAL SERVICE will contact some of these organizations for you. If, in reviewing this information you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to help.

1. Notify your attorney for legal advice and for handling of the will and/or estate.

2. Notify your insurance company. They will require the following:
a. Certified copy of the death certificate.
b. Insurance policies and numbers (get receipt for policy).
c. Social Security number.

3. Contact the Social Security Office for benefits, to change records and to stop automatic deposit of Social Security checks. The telephone number is:          1-800-772-1213
The Salem office is located at 530 Center Street NE, Suite 530, Salem, Oregon.
The mailing address is P.O. Box 149, Salem, Oregon 97308.

4. If you are the spouse of a Veteran, contact the county Assessor’s office in the county in which you reside. There may be a reduction in taxes. They will need the following information.
a. Certified copy of the death certificate.
b. A copy of the marriage license.
c. A copy of Honorable Discharge.

In Marion County, contact the Marion County Assessor’s Office at

In Polk County, contact the Polk County Assessor’s Office at

5. Contact the deceased’s employer or union to ascertain if there are any benefits or
pensions to which you are entitled.

6. Contact bank and savings and loan establishments to inform them of the death and of any change in records. They will also require a copy of the death certificate in some cases. They may make a photocopy of a certified copy of the death certificate in their office, but they will not accept a photocopy that you bring in.

7. Contact any organization to which the deceased belonged. There could be insurance payable upon death of a member.

8. Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles to change ownership records. They will require proof of death.

9. If the deceased was ever employed by the railroad, contact the Railroad Retirement at 877-772-5772. Or you may contact them by mail at: 1220 S.W. 3rd St., Portland, Oregon 97204.

10. Contact the Veterans Administration for additional benefits other than burial plot in a National Cemetery and marker allowances. These two benefits have already been filed on your behalf by Golden’s.

11. Copies of the death certificate may be needed for stocks and other assets. You should contact your broker. The Internal Revenue Service will require proof of death for income tax records. If you find that you need additional certified copies of the death certificate, we can assist you in ordering them.

12. Should you need further acknowledgement cards for the special help people gave you, simply call and we will be glad to furnish more for you.

It will take time to contact these people and they do not all have to be contacted immediately. Again, if you have any questions, or if we may be of any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us. We are here to be of service.

Virgil T. Golden Funeral Service
605 Commercial St. SE, Salem, Oregon 97301